Have you put much thought into the type of yoga/pilates mat that you practise on?
I must confess that I used to select my yoga mats based on whichever I found to be most aesthetically pleasing.
It was only when I started researching sustainability and eco-friendly yoga apparel that I realised most mats are made from highly toxic and chemically heavy PVC!
If you’re wondering whether a cork yoga mat is right for you, read on and discover the benefits for yourself:
- Antibacterial – cork is naturally anti-bacterial, making it the most hygienic option providing a clean and healthy surface for your practise. Studies have shown that your average gym yoga mat can contain more germs and bacteria than a toilet seat yucky! Studies have also shown that after being on cork for 90 minutes, bacteria significantly reduced by 96.93% so it’s a no brainer really! Cork is also impermeable to sweat so it won’t absorb bad smells
- Eco-friendly & Sustainable – cork is a natural and raw material. It is 100% recyclable, renewable and biodegradable. Cork is extracted from the bark of the Cork Oak Tree. Fun fact – shaving the bark off a cork oak actually encourages the tree to replace it, thereby absorbing more CO2 from the atmosphere. The Cork Oak Tree regenerates new bark making it the most sustainable option for us yogis and the planet
- Super grip – I think we can all agree, there is nothing worse than slipping and sliding your way throughout a class! Your grip actually increases the more you sweat on a cork yoga mat, crazy right?! Cork contains a natural wax called Suberin, which functions similarly to the wax used on surfboards to increase grip and prevent slipping.
- Non-toxic and skin friendly – as someone with highly sensitive skin, cork is the perfect pure and natural surface to practise on (especially compared to highly toxic and chemically heavy PVC)
- Durable – cork is extremely resilient, and coming from the bark of a tree it has a really long shelf-life
- Cushioning & flat surface – cork cellular structure contains millions of cells that hold tiny air bubbles. This structure combined with the natural tree rubber base provides excellent cushioning for your hands, feet, knees and back. The natural tree rubber base of the cork mat ensures that it sticks to the floor so you don’t have to worry about it moving (and bunching up) like other mats do.
So there you go, the many benefits of cork! And just to throw one last benefit into the mix, simply by purchasing from Chez Vita you are benefiting the health of not only yourself but the planet too. 1% of every sale is donated to Greening Australia – an amazing charity that is regenerating the native land and reef.
Click here to check out the eco-friendly cork collection for yourself :)